A webcam is a small digital camera that is built into or can be connected to the computer in order to record images. Its popularity increased out of its incredible use in video calling and image recordings over computers and laptops. Webcams have grown increasingly preferred for their convenient services, and with multiple features that pass the utility test.
However, it is essential to make sure that your webcam, if it is external, is compatible with your laptop or computer. Besides, it is equally important to maintain its performance regularly keeping up with the newer versions. This article explains the enhancement of webcams using driver updates.
Role of Drivers for Enhanced Webcam Performance
When it comes to unbothered functionality and feasibility of webcams to lead a smooth conversation or an official meeting, ensuring the whereabouts of webcam drivers is quite essential to keep it going.
Updating drivers is a surefire fix to resolve almost every issue ruining the performance of your PC. Since the outdated versions in your computer only end up hurting the speed and cause it to slow down dramatically, updating the drivers becomes super important.
When you incorporate a webcam driver update process, it instantly starts killing all the issues related to your webcam by scanning the outdated, corrupt or missing versions and thus, installing the fresher updates to kickstart your webcam for better services.
Updating Webcam Drivers Manually
To update the webcam driver manually in order to fix the webcam issues in your device, you can follow the given steps.
- Navigate yourself to Start.
- Now, look for the Device Manager option from the search bar and click on it as it appears at the top result.
- Now that you have opened the app, expand the options to imaging devices, Cameras, Video, Sound and Games.
- Then, you have to right-click the webcam and choose the Update driver option.
- Next, click on the Search automatically for updated driver software option.
Now that you have completed the steps mentioned above, you will find the Device Manager downloading and installing the package of any latest update (If any new update is available) automatically.
Another Way Around to Update Webcam Drivers
If you find Windows Update unable to fetch a new version then you may require to go to your manufacturer official website for support and help yourself get to install a new driver by following the instructions they offer. So, if you have a HP laptop and your Windows update cannot find any new update then you can hit the HP webcam driver download for easier and faster updates.
You can also explore any trusted driver updater tool to update the webcam drivers in your PC. Using a driver updater tool can help you to quickly scan and find out if there’s any outdated or missing version of update lying around the system. If there’s any, you can use that tool to update the fresh version of driver and run your webcam more easily.
Apart from an up to date webcam driver, it is important to check if the peripheral is being detected by your Windows PC. To help this issue in Windows 10:
- Go to Start
- Now, look for the Device Manager and then, click on the top result in order to open the app.
- Next, view the Imaging devices, Cameras or sound and game controllers section and confirm if the camera is getting detected by your Windows 10.
- Hit the Scan for hardware changes option.
- After completing the steps, if the camera doesn’t get detected by your system then you must disconnect the peripheral and restart the computer
- Then, you have to connect the camera again, and repeat the same steps.
Alternatively, you can change the USB port and see if there’s any problem with the port. You can also seek another PC to connect the camera, given the chance of some hardware issue in your device.
Permission to Apps for Camera Access
In order to secure your privacy, Windows10 can keep the apps including Skype and Zoom from accessing the microphone and camera. If you have connected the camera correctly but still find failing to work with any app then you can change the options from Privacy settings.
To let applications access the webcam on your Windows 10 PC, follow these steps:
- Go to Settings and then click on the Privacy section.
- Now, hit the Camera option.
- Click on the Change button from under the Allow access to the camera on this device section.
- Then, enable the Camera access for this device by turning on the toggle switch.
- In the next step, you have to enable the Allow apps to access your camera option by turning on the toggle switch.
- Now, turn the toggle switch on for the apps that you want to allow access from under the “Choose which Microsoft Store apps can access your camera” section.
Now that you have permitted the apps to access the camera, the apps will start using your camera.
In a Nutshell
Webcams have turned out to be a must-have for laptops and computers over the years and have rendered the image quality well. While it is convenient to buy laptops and computers with built-in cameras, many users prefer to use an external webcam for its extensive features and better resolution. The most important part still remains about compatibility factor and then, using the perfect driver updater program to keep your webcam in the game for the long run. What’s your take on webcams and using driver updater tools? Share your views in the comment box.