Email may be a fast and convenient way to relay daily business messages, but it is the preferred way to convey important information through the printed business letter. An attractive letterhead can be a powerful communication tool. An attentively created letter. Use the business letter format and template below, and follow these basic business lettering guidelines to ensure you write the most professional and efficient letter possible.
- Select a professional letterhead design for your small business: Your business letter is your company’s representative, so you want it to look distinctive and convey “high quality” immediately. Try using our letterhead and envelope design templates for a convenient and affordable alternative to traditional preprinted letterheads. Just create a letter in a colour letterhead template designed for you and print your whole piece from a colour printer rapidly and beautifully.
- Use a standard business letter format and template: For business letters, the most widely used format is “block style,” where the letter’s whole text is justified. The text is spaced only except for two spaces. Margins on all sides, which is the default setting for most word processing programmes, are typically around 1 inch (25.4mm). You can use its built-in letter wizard for additional formatting support if you use Microsoft Word (look on the Tools menu).
- Use a professional tone: Save casual, chatty email language – your letter should be friendly yet professional. “The business author should strive for an overall tone which is confident, courteous, and sincere, which makes proper use of emphasis and subordination; contains no discriminatory language; stresses “your” attitude; which is written on an appropriate level of difficulty” as Scott Ober suggests in his book Contemporary Business Communication. That said, please don’t want to make your letter as if it was written on a machine. You do not want it to read.
- Write clearly: In your letter, state your point early. Use simple, concise language to avoid miscommunications. Skip the jargon of the industry and choose active words to keep your reader aware.
- Organise your information logically: In separate paragraphs, group information. Consider organising information into sections with subheadings in a long information-packed letter. You may want to highlight keywords to pop them. Most text processing programmes and a colour multifunction printer make this technique possible.
- Use colour to emphasise a word in the text: To draw your attention to it is easy to put a few words in colour. Please select the type and click the file to the right, select the colour you want and click on it. Or try emphasising in the text a couple of words. Choose the type you wish to highlight, and click Highlight. Note: Use light colours like yellow, light green, or light blue to highlight parts of a document you intend to print. If the highlighting is to be removed, select the text and click again on Highlight. Applying colour (or any style) automates AutoText, which normally takes many clicks or commands. Say you are producing a report that compares the performance of your organisation with your write my assignment competitor. Whenever it appears, Word can automated colour your company’s name so that these entries are easy to find.
- Be persuasive: Make a positive connection immediately with your reader. In your introductory paragraph, if you have a connection with the reader – for example, you met before or have a reciprocal colleague. It is important to find common ground and build your case from there, regardless of whether your lecturer agrees with your letter. Understand your reader sufficiently well to anticipate how your letter reacts. Address your needs or wishes or a particular problem, then outline your solution. Provide evidence to support your point by providing examples and expert opinions. Ensure a friendly tone is maintained. Enter the “Call for Action” in your letter. State clearly what your reader has to do or believe in the solution you wish to achieve, and then state what you will do next.
- Proofread your letter: No error in spelling or punctuation can cover all your careful crafting and printing, and this makes a lasting negative impression.
The business letter template fields are discussed below:
Date: Use month, day, year format, such as March 3, 20xx or 3rd March 20xx
Sender’s Address: If available, it is a good idea to include the sender’s email and url. If it is already incorporated into the letterhead design, do not include this information. It enables customers to find their small health business faster.
Inside Address: Use the full name. Mr./Ms. is optional.
Salutation: Be sure to use a colon at the end of the name, not a comma as in personal letters.
Body Text: Tell us why you write. Create any link/mutual relationship in advance. Provide examples and expert opinions to outline the solution. Information concerning groups in paragraphs.
Closing “Call to Action”: State what the reader needs to do and what you will do to follow up.
Signature Block: Sign your letter in blue or black ink.
Enclosures: Use if you have an enclosure.
Carbon Copy: Use if you are sending a copy to an additional person(s).
The specific parts of a business letter are shown in this business letter format:
July 20, 20xx
GP & Associates
2053 SW Channing Avenue, Suite 400
Denver, CO 80016
Ms Tia Turfingeon
3400 Onesite Parkway
Denver, CO 80016
Dear Ms Turfingeon,
Body Text: I understand from our mutual knowledge, Chad Johnson, that you want a billholder to help you sell your business. I want to show you how GP & Associates could help Chad to sell its business successfully earlier this year.
As you’ll see on our website, my associates and I have extensive financial accounting, internal audits, and tax compliance. For the past several years, we have specialised in business evaluation and transition services for sellers. We enjoy working closely with clients throughout the sale process to ensure a smooth transition. As our clients can attest, our various pre-sale price improvement strategies can significantly optimise a business’s sale price.
Should you be thinking of purchasing another business, please note that we also offer business acquisition services. For your convenience, I have enclosed additional information describing GP & Associates full range of services.
Call to action: To set up an appointment to discuss your specific needs, and please contact me at 303-449-0037. I know how busy you are, so I will give you a call on Tuesday to follow up if I haven’t heard from you.